I’ve decided that I want to overhaul the new garden. I need some suggestions.
Here are the specs:
Full sun (skinnier part gets a bit less sun, but I’d still call it full sun)
Skinny part can be somewhat moist (driveway/road runoff)
Plants currently there:
• coreopsis – limerock ruby, moonbeam, some brighter yellow threadleaf one
• daylilies – stella d’oro 3x, fragrant returns 2x, happy returns 2x (mostly happy with where these are)
• variegated liriope (happy with placement)
• pink fountain gaura – will be moved, too spready and frilly for rt by the steps
• white coneflower – will probably be moved to side garden amongst asiatic lilies
• candytuft in white
• bachelor buttons (a bunch) in red and strawberry daquiri (letting them reseed)
• creephing phlox in white and pink/white.
• annuals – cosmos
• mini hollyhock – pink – will prob move it, since it was supposed to be red and I don’t like it
• carnations – a lot of these in pink, red, white, yellow, salmon pink
• dark pink peony
• some kind of rose
• broadleaf coreopsis – 2x – not planted yet
• ice plant – 3x – not planted yet
I don’t want to put in any shrubs—I’m not totally against it, but a shrub would take up a lot of space, and I’d only be able to put them towards the front of the bed anyway (where there is an established peony and rose that I don’t want to move or block). Thinking of maybe adding some of these that are in the front of the house: gaillardia, rudbeckia, helenium (daylilies already mirror the front). I think I’ll probably move the carnations closer together nearer the house (near the pink carnations in that one photo – they’re a bit more spread out now) – they bloom mostly in spring, so I can have a bunch of coreopsis in front to cover those fading blooms.
I’d need something for in front of the coreopsis, between that and the phlox and bachelor buttons (possibly gaillardia?). I’d also need something for behind the daylilies and liriope right against the house (rudbeckia?) and then something for down at the skinny part of the garden near the deck steps (hostas maybe? gaillardia? annuals? dunno). Help!