I thinned seeds today. So sad! But a few of those cells were just getting waaaay to crowded. Now I know next year that I really should only do 1-2 seeds per cell. I thinned them down to 1-2 per cell, with 3 on the seeds that are growing a bit more slowly (I’ll thin those later). I pulled them out, trying to keep the little roots intact when possible. The nasturtiums are so big the roots are coming out the bottom of the little peat pots, so I might have to temporarily put them in a proper pot until I’m sure its safe for them to be outside. I ended up with a bunch that looked to be worth saving, so I potted them up in some yogurt cups. (Sidenote – the yogurt cups that come with stuff to sprinkle on top make perfect pots and saucers!) Some of these will be going to my mom, and I’ll hold on to a few, too. I potted up a few sacrifice seedlings and have left them outside. I’ll see how they fare – they’re my testers to see how safe it is to sow the other seeds I have left outside. The remainders not deemed worth of repotting went into the compost bucket on the deck along with the asparagus ends from dinner, so they’ll still make themselves useful in the compost bin soon.
Rescued from thinning.